Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Meat Substitute

Ok, so, I'm on this new "thing" where I'm trying to stay away from livestock/farm-raised/processed meats. Not only is it (mostly) inhumane how these animals are raised (if you can call an 8 week old chicken, raised), but also very unhealthy.

Farm raised meats contain high amounts of growth hormones, steroids, antibiotics, and even pesticides - the sort of things that can give cancer a start and encourage it to grow out of control. Believe it or not, chicken is the worst. It is pumped so full of chemicals and hormones that it's unbelievable. Is it any wonder that the rate of cancer in the United States is one of the highest in the world? It's because of all the unnatural stuff in our food, mainly meat and dairy products.

So, with that being said, I'm trying to stick to just wild game and fish/seafood. This really isn't much of a problem for me b/c I love wild game and seafood. Chicken actually does gross me out unless I'm cooking it at home. Have you ever bitten into a chunk of chicken only to have your teeth bounce right off of a nasty gristle?? It's probably one of the most disgusting things while eating. Oh, and not to mention I've been to a chicken processing plant. Absolutely disgusting, and sad, all at the same time.

Let's get back to being positive, shall we! I LOVE portabella mushrooms. Actually, I love all mushrooms!! LOL! I like to take those big grilling portabellas and fixing them up.
First, take your mushrooms and turn them over, and remove most of the black gills. The gills aren't really that tasty, and it gives you room to fill them :)


I like to quickly saute the mushrooms in a touch of butter and olive oil to get them going.


Next, saute a slice of onion for each mushroom in some butter and EVOO. Place the sauteed onion in the mushroom cap and squeeze some fresh garlic over it. Drizzle with Balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top, and finish with your favorite seasoning blend (I like the Cavender's Greek Seasoning).


Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until tender with a fork (depends on thickness of mushrooms) about 365 degrees. Not sure why my picture is vertical! Haha!! But, you see the finished product :)
Let me know what you think!


Amanda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are super yummy and I'm so happy you are saving lots of little animal lives. :)

Leslie Richman said...

Just read recently about removing the gills...I've never thought to do it, but I'm going to try it. Stuffing them sounds awesome!

Amanda said...

I'm happy to help save some livestock animals...however, if I'm not eating it, someone else is :(
Yep, Leslie, I like to remove the gills just from the large portabellos....leaves room to put good stuff in there!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails